Thursday, May 19, 2011

A legend moves on...

Badal Sarkar, the man who galvanized Bengali theater into daring the impossible, passed away on May 13, 2011.  Here is a tribute to him posted on another blog.

"When I read about his death, the first thing I felt was, this must be another joke of his.  I switched news channels to return to graver things, the fall of the Left front in West Bengal after 34 years, a fall brought about by a frail, crazy, and lovable woman who refused to give up. The next morning, I read the obits, and I knew it was for real.  My tribute to this genius is in the links on this page, most of which are ads for stuff to buy, like pots, pans and books.

"I am in no way qualified to comment on his body of work or his importance in the scheme of things. However, I have been reading a lot of commentary on his life and work, and feel that I should share some of it for posterity.  There are so many people who are unaware of what he did for our world and why his efforts are important.  Ananda Lal's very nice and precise article from The Telegraph is one of the best written obituaries for this larger than life personality.

You can also read my personal tribute to him over at Parth's blog."

Please do leave your comments behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...